[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] ANNOUNCE: gcc ported Firefox 37.0b3 now backported to snv_130 x86/x64, Should work on OI/Hipster/S11.[0-3]/S12 etc.

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 09:44:55 UTC 2015

>> I want to be able build FF and and other things too, by myself
>> locally, so I can contribute in area I can. So having binary-only does
>> not help in that.
>
> How shall I understand this?
> A) You don't want any bins

I would like to say a few things related to this matter. Binaries
are OK but the problem is that you cannot commit yourself to deliver
binaries for every release. And that is something that people who
maintain OI do not like. They want to be able to build firefox and
deliver binaries to anybody interested.

> B) You want to contribute

What do you mean?

> C) In order to get into a position to contribute FF related work, rather than
> contributing and working on the src until it works, you expect _me_ to provide
> it in fully functional manner!??
>
> Does that make sense?

Nobody expects anything. I had compiled OpenOffice and immediately I released
the patches I had to apply so that others could build it. That's what

people want. On the other hand if you want to make money out of this, we
can try to make found or something to help you financially. It happened in
the TeX community with luaTeX where people found money and paid someone
to write luaTeX from scratch. The final project is completely Open Source.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece
http://asyropoulos.eu