[OpenIndiana-discuss] Antwort: Transferring everything in one zpool to be a subtree in another larger zpool

Thorsten Heit thorsten.heit at vkb.de
Tue May 5 09:56:22 UTC 2015

Hi,

> I should have put this in the subject; the receiving zpool is on a
> FreeNas 9.3 box.
>
> When I did as described by you, i e "zfs send -R pool/name at snap | ..."
> the resulting dataset on Freenas didn't really work.
> When trying to set up a share for the dataset on Freenas, I got
> "unsupported share protocol:1" and sharing failed.
>
> It seems this has to do with zfs properties and the fact that ZFS has
> hooks in the kernel in OI but not in FreeNas.

A short look in the FreeBSD's zfs man page gives the impression that it
only supports sharing via NFS (OI/Solaris also support CIFS), and you have
to enable the NFS server part in your /etc/rc.conf; see for example
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/creating-a-zfs-network-share-over-nfs.34828/

> I'm guessing that just doing a "zfs send pool/name at snap", i e not using
> -rp or -R, will make a working dataset on FreeNas which can then be
shared.

If you're only interested in the data sets, not in their properties, "-r"
will suffice.

> As a side note; just piping to ssh is excruciatingly slow, using netcat,

> "nc", speeds things up at least 4fold.
>
> On the receiving end:
>
> nc -w 600 -l 8023 | zfs recv pool/name
>
> and on the sending end
>
> zfs send pool/data at snap|nc -w 20 receive-address 8023

Hm, I can't confirm that. Perhaps this has to do with the hardware you're
using...?

Regards

Thorsten