[OpenIndiana-discuss] Antwort: Transferring everything in one zpool to be a subtree in another larger zpool

Hans J. Albertsson hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:17:38 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-05 11:56, Thorsten Heit wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I should have put this in the subject; the receiving zpool is on a
>> FreeNas 9.3 box.
>>
>> When I did as described by you, i e "zfs send -R pool/name at snap | ..."
>> the resulting dataset on Freenas didn't really work.
>> When trying to set up a share for the dataset on Freenas, I got
>> "unsupported share protocol:1" and sharing failed.
>>
>> It seems this has to do with zfs properties and the fact that ZFS has
>> hooks in the kernel in OI but not in FreeNas.
> A short look in the FreeBSD's zfs man page gives the impression that it
> only supports sharing via NFS (OI/Solaris also support CIFS), and you have
> to enable the NFS server part in your /etc/rc.conf; see for example
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/creating-a-zfs-network-share-over-nfs.34828/

For FreeBSD you're right, but FreeNAS has done that already, and can
handle exporting via CIFS and NFS from the webgui.

>> I'm guessing that just doing a "zfs send pool/name at snap", i e not using
>> -rp or -R, will make a working dataset on FreeNas which can then be
> shared.
>
> If you're only interested in the data sets, not in their properties, "-r"
> will suffice.
-r just gets me an error message "invalid option r". I'm on OI 151a7,
which might be relevant.
send w/o option seems to get the data across, ignoring any options and such.

>> As a side note; just piping to ssh is excruciatingly slow, using netcat,
>> "nc", speeds things up at least 4fold.
>>
>> On the receiving end:
>>
>> nc -w 600 -l 8023 | zfs recv pool/name
>>
>> and on the sending end
>>
>> zfs send pool/data at snap|nc -w 20 receive-address 8023

Well, I don't know, I got this info from the web, and it supposedly
applies to SmartOS and several other environments, and FreeNAS.

And to my setup.