[OpenIndiana-discuss] fishing for suggestions for new motherboard

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Wed May 13 20:12:32 UTC 2015

Hello Tim,

Thanks for the comments.

Specifically the USB ones, I really wasn't aware.  My personal opinion and
experience with USB (and we all know what opinions are worth) is that it does
fine for use as a keyboard and mouse interface.  And that is all I would ever
use it for.  I would never use it for storage, with the exception of maybe one
of those 8 or 16 Gb USB sticks for sneakernet.

I currently have an external drive enclosure attached via e-sata, and I have
done well with that.

As far as audio and video go, its not something I really push.  YouTube video
here and there.  Downloaded video's via mplayer, or VLC if that is working
again.  I really don't push the audio thing hard and so far, I have always been
happy with what ever audio is on the system board.

I currently have a Gigabyte LGA1366 GA-X58A-UD5 with a Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz
that I built out in early 2011.  Its done well for me, but is getting pretty
long in the tooth.

Jerry