[OpenIndiana-discuss] fishing for suggestions for new motherboard

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed May 13 20:37:35 UTC 2015

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] fishing for suggestions for new...:

> Specifically the USB ones, I really wasn't aware.  My personal opinion and
> experience with USB (and we all know what opinions are worth) is that it does
> fine for use as a keyboard and mouse interface.  And that is all I would ever
> use it for.  I would never use it for storage, with the exception of
> maybe one of those 8 or 16 Gb USB sticks for sneakernet.

That's all I ever use it for too, but if you only have USB3 on the MB you
purchase, none of those things are going to work.  It's getting difficult
to find PS2 ports on modern motherboards, so even having a working
keyboard and mouse are going to be dependent on having USB2.

The USB flash drives and sneakernet are also extremely useful to have, so
I personally would be pretty disappointed if I had a system where that
wasn't an option.

> As far as audio and video go, its not something I really push.  YouTube video
> here and there.  Downloaded video's via mplayer, or VLC if that is working
> again.  I really don't push the audio thing hard and so far, I have always
> been happy with what ever audio is on the system board.

Just make certain that whatever on-board audio is actually known to work.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)