[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtual terminals

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Nov 4 12:43:12 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I have set up the console-daemon service, so it drives 5 vt's and the console's ttymon processes. Terminal in the Gnome session can be traced to vt7.

However when I do Ctrl+Alt+F[123456] I get a black screen, no login prompt, and can not return to X11 with C+A+F7 either. Sometimes the session dies and in half a minute after the switcheroo I get a gdm login; at other times I have to ssh in and 'svcadm restart gdm'.

Also, it seems that changing monitor layouts with the Dispaly Resolution applet is a bad idea - more often than not the X server abruptly dies. Happens also if the ~/.config/monitors.xml exists and has a different layout than what GDM inherited from xorg.conf - upon login, i get a flicker and gnome dies.

Does anybody else see this? Is it an X issue, or my drivers' issue? I was glad to finally see my APU recognized as a radeon at all, after all these years of vesa, so I guess tyere can be unfinished business in its code.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android