[OpenIndiana-discuss] Virtual terminals

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 12:55:53 UTC 2015

On 11/ 4/15 01:43 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have set up the console-daemon service, so it drives 5 vt's and the console's ttymon processes. Terminal in the Gnome session can be traced to vt7.
>
> However when I do Ctrl+Alt+F[123456] I get a black screen, no login prompt, and can not return to X11 with C+A+F7 either. Sometimes the session dies and in half a minute after the switcheroo I get a gdm login; at other times I have to ssh in and 'svcadm restart gdm'.
>
> Also, it seems that changing monitor layouts with the Dispaly Resolution applet is a bad idea - more often than not the X server abruptly dies. Happens also if the ~/.config/monitors.xml exists and has a different layout than what GDM inherited from xorg.conf - upon login, i get a flicker and gnome dies.
>
> Does anybody else see this? Is it an X issue, or my drivers' issue? I was glad to finally see my APU recognized as a radeon at all, after all these years of vesa, so I guess tyere can be unfinished business in its code.

I see this every day like you described, since I go to VT console on
boot, because intel graphics work in 1024x768 and I need to go to
console to use 'sudo 915resolution 3c 1440 900' and 'sudo svcadm 'sudo
svcadm enable gdmdisable gdm' to get resolution.

Sometimes, when I go back to console (before I log in in gdm) to exit
console and come back to X on F7, it works,
but I think, every second time, it does not bring it back but just
displays black screen.
When i go to consoles again I get console but not X and I can issue gdm
restart again.
Then I get X running on VT8 instead of VT7 , close down console, go back
to VT8 and log in.

It is illumos VT consoles problems together with X, that dies if I go to
VT consoles while it is running apps after logging in in gdm, so all
apps die on X session if I use consoles after logging in.

I do this every single day since new X was introduced after 20141010
(not that VTs were very stable before too)
and recently I realized I actually use VESA driver even I am in the
process of testing newer Intel driver, but vesa pops up in modinfo.
I am not changing it to do that automatically on boot with
915resolution, because I want to withess the moment when it starts
working right with X and Intel and i am not sure if it will ever, since
people that worked on illumos KMS support keep it for themselves and not
contributing code (talking about you, openSXCE).