[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

Rich Teer rich at richjen.com
Thu Nov 5 18:07:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015, Jonathan Adams wrote:

> USB is good for ZFS on Linux (useful to set the ashift on a backwards
> compatible Solaris 10 zpool), but it's not really "prime time".

Just so that I'm absolutely clear, would I be correct in thinking that
eSATA is preferred over USB-3, assuming SAS isn't an option?  The low-end,
consumer-spec drive enclosure I'm using has an eSATA port and a USB-3
port.  The eSATA port requires the use of an HBA that supports port
multipliers (which the LSI HBA I'm using doesn't), and my Ultra 20 M2
"server" only has USB-2 ports.  So I'm looking at buying either a
USB-3 PCIe card, or an eSATA that supports port multiplers PCIe card.
The cost difference isn't that great (~$30 vs $60), but I'd like to
buy the one that's best (i.e., most reliable and more performant).

Illumos support would be ideal, but I'll also consider anything that
is supported by Linux or FreeBSD.  I'm currently thinking about getting
one of the StarTech eSATA or USB-3 cards.

Cheers,

--
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine