[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 07:03:49 UTC 2015

On 11/ 5/15 05:23 PM, Dave Pooser wrote:
> On 11/4/15, 11:54 PM, "Nikola M" <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> USB is not that good for high profile use anyway.
>> USB does not do checking of data during transwer (came to the light when
>> using USB wireless adapters).
>> ZFS helps there with checksums, but for regular things I would stick to
>> SAS and SATA.
> True, but when you occasionally need to move a couple TB cross-country a
> USB3 hard drive shipped overnight delivery is often less painful than
> using zfs send. ;-)

There are no USB disk drives, they are all SATA inside
so external SATA or eSATA to SATA every one work at it's best speed. One
occasionally can ship just SATA HD.
There are also craddles to put new disk into and devfsadm to make it
available.

Also if zfs send between snapshots is too big, stream can be put into an
file and sent with rsync,
until zfs send continuing transfer lands in OpenZFS. (Delphix works on
it I think)