[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat Nov 7 00:25:37 UTC 2015

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 00:54, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/ 3/15 08:52 PM, Rich Teer wrote:
>> I'm currently using the external drive bay with a USB 2 connection, plus
>> an eSATA drive (3-way mirror).  My plan is to drop the eSATA drive (it's
>> a 2 TB drive vs the 4 TB drives in the other drive bay), and stick to just
>> the USB port and (for the time being) live with the presumably crappy
>> performance that will bring.
>
> USB is not that good for high profile use anyway.
> USB does not do checking of data during transwer (came to the light when using USB wireless adapters).
> ZFS helps there with checksums, but for regular things I would stick to SAS and SATA.

If one is willing to use enterprise grade drives, there may be little cost difference for the drives between SAS and SATA; so when I wanted to add a JBOD to a Sun Blade 2000 workstation, I looked for a supported SAS controller (including boot support) on eBay, and an 8-slot enclosure.  A SAS controller can typically also handle SATA, but not vice versa.  And IMO, SCSI drivers are much more mature, and SCSI TCQ is probably better than SATA NCQ.  So far, I've been pleased with it.  And I have everything on hand if one day I decide to shut that SB2K down and move the JBOD over to my T5240 (talk about noisy computers @home, that takes the cake!).