[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the recommended way to back up root pool?

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Mon Nov 9 19:01:25 UTC 2015

I hadn't heard of tarsnap before, but I've been using one of the other
cloud-based backup services and have been pretty happy with the
convenience.  I actually have occasionally used it while traveling just as
a way to retrieve files I needed off computers that were back home and
inaccessible.

The initial backup for a machine takes a while if you have a lot of data.
Some services offer an option where you can mail in a hard disk to seed the
backup and avoid doing a full backup via the wire.  Data caps are also
something to keep in mind; they're coming to a lot of us soon in the US,
since monopoly cable carriers are starting to enforce them.

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 2:38 PM, John D Groenveld <jdg117 at elvis.arl.psu.edu>
wrote:

> In message <
> CAHHaOuaf9yUb2gUGUDy09eQTChE6J5GqyPsN57+GSSPETvNOQg at mail.gmail.com>
> , David Brodbeck writes:
> >set up and maintain a puppet server just for a home fileserver. ;)
>
> Any tarsnap success or fail stories on this M/L?
>
> I recently heard their plug on the BSD Now podcasts with
> Illumos' Brown mafia members and it seems geared toward
> home fileservers.
>
> John
> groenveld at acm.org

D. Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics
University of Washington
GPG key fingerprint: 0DB7 4B50 8910 DBC5 B510 79C4 3970 2BC3 2078 D875