[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the recommended way to back up root pool?

John D Groenveld jdg117 at elvis.arl.psu.edu
Mon Nov 9 19:59:27 UTC 2015

In message <CAHHaOuZzzVKww6xcTf1gN+wB8uexq2eYbRsTLtqCQpsjnM1W+w at mail.gmail.com>
, David Brodbeck writes:
>I hadn't heard of tarsnap before, but I've been using one of the other
>cloud-based backup services and have been pretty happy with the
>convenience.  I actually have occasionally used it while traveling just as

I read some complaints when Code42 EOLd their OpenSolaris
CrashPlan client and so figured tarsnap might be relevant
here.

>a way to retrieve files I needed off computers that were back home and
>inaccessible.

The OP might appreciate more details.

>The initial backup for a machine takes a while if you have a lot of data.
>Some services offer an option where you can mail in a hard disk to seed the
>backup and avoid doing a full backup via the wire.  Data caps are also
>something to keep in mind; they're coming to a lot of us soon in the US,
>since monopoly cable carriers are starting to enforce them.

Fortunately my locality offers some competition, but incrementals
are more efficient which is a win every way you look at it (so
long as its restorable.)

John
groenveld at acm.org