[OpenIndiana-discuss] Broken zpool

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Mon Nov 9 19:04:25 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 01:55 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Philip Robar <philip.robar at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing that both Jerry's
>> administrator friend and David are missing is that ZFS data redundancy
>> isn't just a "sexy" form of reliability. It is also provides data
>> integrity, i.e. with redundancy ZFS will not just notice that a file is
>> corrupt, with redundancy it can fix the problem. With a single drive ZFS
>> pool you give up that integrity and there's a good chance that any data
>> corruption will then be passed on to your backup before ZFS flags it
>> resulting in the loss of that data.
>>
> Redundant is always better than non-redundant.  In general, though, I don't
> see a lot of people losing files due to data corruption.  Most losses I've
> seen are due to hardware failure, unrepairable levels of filesystem
> corruption, or operator error (overwriting files, deleting the wrong
> files.)  I think this is probably because if the hardware is so marginal
> that it's writing corrupted data, it will rapidly corrupt the filesystem
> beyond repair, too. I have yet to see a data checksum error during a scrub
> of an otherwise healthy pool.
>
> Basically, I think redundancy has some data safety benefits, but I think
> the best solution to your scenario is to keep more than one backup at
> different points in time -- especially since zfs streams are pretty fragile
> as a backup format.
>
> Operator error is actually by far the most common way to lose data, in my
> experience, and it's one where redundancy won't help you.  It's also hard
> to protect against unless you keep multiple backups, since you may not
> realize what happened for a while.

I run a small SOHO setup and do a bit of both.  I have mirrored pools
with nightly backups of important data (along with backups of Linux/Unix
desktops using dirvish) to an "archive" pool (also mirrored).  The zfs
mirrors prevent data corruption and I can still recover from the archive
pool in the event of an error.