[OpenIndiana-discuss] What is the recommended way to back up root pool?

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Mon Nov 9 20:19:03 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 11:59 AM, John D Groenveld <jdg117 at elvis.arl.psu.edu>
wrote:

> The OP might appreciate more details.

Eh, I didn't want to seem like I was shilling, especially shilling a
service that was in direct competition with an OSS system you already
mentioned.

Anyway, based on earlier comments I'm pretty sure the OP isn't interested
in, or in a position to, pay for a subscription service.

> >The initial backup for a machine takes a while if you have a lot of data.
> >Some services offer an option where you can mail in a hard disk to seed
> the
> >backup and avoid doing a full backup via the wire.  Data caps are also
> >something to keep in mind; they're coming to a lot of us soon in the US,
> >since monopoly cable carriers are starting to enforce them.
>
> Fortunately my locality offers some competition, but incrementals
> are more efficient which is a win every way you look at it (so
> long as its restorable.)
>
> John
> groenveld at acm.org

D. Brodbeck
System Administrator, Linguistics
University of Washington
GPG key fingerprint: 0DB7 4B50 8910 DBC5 B510 79C4 3970 2BC3 2078 D875