[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster upgrade problem

Stefan Müller-Wilken stefan.mueller-wilken at acando.de
Mon Nov 16 08:55:55 UTC 2015

What I'm feeling quite uneasy with is the fact that we now have two distributions: hipster that gets more recent software packages & security fixes and dev that is said to be the more (or only?) stable choice. Or in other words: choose stability _OR_ security - a no-win-situation.

How can we get past this? Either with a well defined approach for staging packages from hipster to dev or by providing a bullet-proof list of steps on how to upgrade packages in dev directly, similar to http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland but for dev, not hipster.

Or am I missing an important aspect here?

Cheers
 Stefan