[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster upgrade problem

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Nov 16 19:59:41 UTC 2015

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster upgrade problem, Stefan...:

> As for contributing packages, I think it would help to have a full
> tutorial starting wirh preparing a packaging zone, downloading a tgz
> package from a source repository (e. g. latest tomcat) over creating IPS
> metadata to packaging and lastly delivering to the maintainers placed on
> the wiki.

+1 to this!  I've wanted many times to be able to help contribute to
either dev or hipster, but the thing that always stops me is the "barrier
to entry".

I've literally built thousands of packages using RPM, including RPM on
commercial UNIX distros (Solaris 8 and on, including my OI dev
workstation).  Building for personal or corporate use isn't quite the
same as building packages for widespread distribution, though.

Getting a pristine build environment set up and knowing the appropriate
procedure for OI for reproducible builds is the first step, but it's
the step that I've never gotten past.

> There was one for SFE I remember being fairly complex - but
> we'd need this for dev with the minimum number of steps just to upgrade
> an existing package... or is this already available somewhere on the
> net?

Detailed docs would help, especially if they were accompanied by a
VirtualBox VM image of a ready-to-go build box for new package
contributors.

Tim

>> Am 15.11.2015 um 17:05 schrieb Thomas Wagner <tom-oi-discuss at tom.bn-ulm.de>:
>>
>> Some comments on upgrades. Some comments on maintaining
>>
>> _if_ you change the OS-distribution, it is indeed recommended
>> to *uninstall* the 3rd-party packages before upgrade attempt.
>> IPS is pedantic for a good reason.
>>
>> That means, you can't expect 3rd-party packages to fit
>> into a different, new OS-distribution.
>>
>> For packages from http://sfe.opencsw.org, you will see that every major
>> OS distrobution has it's own IPS repository matching the OS.
>>

>>> As I see, you has sfe packages installed. First of all, I'd create new BE to
>>> experiment with,
>>> uninstalled all SFE packages, updated it to Hipster and added
>>> http://sfe.opencsw.org/localhostoih/en/index.shtml
>>> repository for SFE packages.
>>>
>>> Perl 5.10 was removed, but packages from old SFE repository still depend on
>>> it, so you can't update.
>>
>> Agreed.
>> It is recommended to...
>> * beadm create a backup-bootenvironment  (your insurance)
>> * save list of all installed 3rd-party packageds
>>  pkg list | egrep "sfe|localhost" > USERHOME/my-old-sfe-packages
>>
>> * make an extra backup of the 3rd-party packages config files (really!)
>>  (e.g. /etc/ or where else config is stored)
>>
>> * uninstall all 3rd-party-packages before the OS upgrade.
>> * remove the old SFE publisher
>>
>> Do the major OS distribution upgrade
>>
>> After the upgrade:
>> * re-add the *new* SFE publisher for the *new* OS distribution
>> * install those 3rd party packages you still want to run
>> * restore the configuration for the 3rd party packages
>>

>> In an optimal world with lots of paid supporters, the OS distribution
>> and 3rd party Package repositories would be synchronized. They would
>> contain a complete set of automatic "renamed-to" and "obsolete"
>> meta-packages which allow seamless upgrades.
>>
>> But you know, not a single one of all the maintainers are paid for the
>> OpenIndiana and SFE projects.
>>
>> I believe all the maintainers are still paid, but in a non-monetary
>> currency. They see you are using their work and have fun or profit of it.
>>
>> And the biggest success for maintainers might be, seeing users turn
>> into mainainers and help getting the project forward. This includes
>> programmers/hackers as well as users writing documentaion or do community
>> or public relations! (blogging, presentatations, usergroups)
>>
>> Regards,
>> @tomww

> -----
> Acando GmbH, Millerntorplatz 1, 20359 Hamburg, Germany | Geschäftsführer: Guido Ahle | Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 76048 | USt-IdNr.: DE208833022

Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)