[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster upgrade problem

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 08:42:31 UTC 2015

On 11/29/15 12:39 AM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> Hello,
> bringing up the topic again, I think there are two things that should be
> documented on the website:
>
> 1) writing about the status regarding possibility to migrate from 151a9 to
> hipster and known workaround.
Writing about process is not enough.
There needs to be hipster snapshot/release that wouldn't change over
time so that upgrade from /dev is always possible. And that one using
/dev can update to.
That brings also making existing /dev into some branded zone so that
people using apps depending on it can continue to use them until new
ones in hipster are contributed or indefinatevly.

So it needs /dev to hipster update testing first and relaying
information about results, making sure it works and then making manual
out of it.
So it needs planning for next OI hipste snapshot to be upgreadable.

Also it is important making sure that OI hipster snapshots can be
directly updated from one to another OI hipster snapshot (that possibly
can in future land in /dev).
No updated package is valid if it does not provide smooth update
transition form previous version. It may not needed for in-between
hipster updates but it is only way for snapshots and if landing to /dev.

Having snapshots and releases also brings up a question of source code
availablility on Openindiana servers, to fullfill licensing requrements.
Someone woudl not agree it is important, but when someone asks you to
provide exact source for exact build, one can not just point to external
link that might be or might not be available (Github is also not
available in all countries), and it is explicit obligation of OS
distribution (e.g. OI).

It also opens questions of naming hipster packages in a way that there
is application version number first,
and why not putting OI release version first to be able to get older
version of the package in case new package in hipster does not work right.

Having entire and userland-incorportation is great step toward
reproducing maintainable testable and upgreadable OS distribution, where
in releases entire has to encapsulate supported illumos.
Having set of illumos patches that OI hipster and OI snapshots and
releases can have to test and provide if available from illumos is also
separate topic.