[OpenIndiana-discuss] Building a SPARC distro of OI?

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:47:10 UTC 2015

On 10/20/15 05:49 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> I've just installed teferi's ISO of oi_151a8 for SPARC on my T2000
> (sun4v).  It worked flawlessly.  I've also built illumos-gate, only a
> few days old, on this system.
>
> What do I need to do to create an ISO and package repository for a
> more recent version of OI?  Are there instructions someplace?  Who can
> host the SPARC ISO and repository?
Besides instructions on OI Wiki, Martin Boching with it's SPARC and x86
releases was most sucsesssfull releasing for SPARC and one of he's older
releases under OI umbrella is still on dlc.openindiana.org. Yet, no
sources for patches has been released to be able to continue he's effort
in public.
If contacting him, prepare for patiance. Also it might be good idea to
scrub some money if he requires to help him partially pay out he's
development efforts
if he should finally release he's changed sources to make it alive and
publicly contributable.

I suggest forming what is made for OI hipster, (with Jenkins building
packages etc. and with having actual sources available locally for builds)
because it is most active (who is the main guy for /dev ?, would liek to
know)
There are some work on hipster to make updating form /dev to hipster in
this state now, actally works. It would be major effort but if doing
gradually and using what x86 hipster does SPARC could work. (that would
also improve SPARC port position, in eyes or illumos itself)

About hardware hosting for SPARC, Alasdair / entic.net expressed a while
ago that he woudl gladly host some T2/5220/40 series or newer in
datacenter for development use on OI SPARC, just someone should donate
hardware (easyer) and most important pay for shipping of the machine to
entic.net in UK (harder).

There are also other people having Sparc hardware ready and even myself
am waiting for an 5240 to arrive etc.