[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does the latest OI version allow ashift=12 for zpool creation?

andy thomas andy at time-domain.co.uk
Tue Oct 27 18:17:43 UTC 2015

I admit I haven't been on this forum for years, such is the reliability of
my OI 148 server built in 2011. I'm using 3 x 2 TB WD2002FAEX 512-byte
sector disks for a ZFS RAIDz1 pool in this and about a year ago, one of
these disks failed - I tried fitting a more recent WD2002 disk with 4k
sectors but zpool replace complained about the sector mismatch and in the
end I had to find another WD2002FAEX (and it was quite expensive too).

This server is now free to be rebuilt so I upgraded it today to OI 151a9
but the latest zpool doesn't seem to offer the option to set the ashift
value. I wondered if I installed the latest OI from DVD, destroying the
original pool, would zpool default to using ashift=12? This would allow me
to use both 512 and 4096 byte sectors in vdevs.

Andy