[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Oct 28 20:58:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, 28 Oct 2015, Rich Teer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hopefully a very quick question here: is USB3 supported yet, and if so, what
> 2+ port cards are recommended?  I'm specifically talking about using ZFS on
> external hard drives, and am thinking of using SmartOS if that helps.  The
> USB card would be going into a PCIe slot in my Ultra 20 M2.  (I'm currently
> using one of the on-board USB2 interfaces, but the 480 Mb/s speed is killing
> me!)

USB-3 is not supported yet.  I have not heard of anyone working on it.

I am also using USB-2 backup drives with ZFS (for over 6 years
already) for backups.  I take care to constrain the amount of data
which needs to be backed up and use compression so USB-2 still works
for me.

Consider ZFS on Linux or FreeBSD if you need USB-3 and ZFS within the
next year.

Also consider eSATA since that can be supported by OpenIndiana and is
commonly available on external drives.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn