[OpenIndiana-discuss] Support for USB3?

jason matthews jason at broken.net
Wed Oct 28 21:09:01 UTC 2015

On 10/28/15 1:58 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> Also consider eSATA since that can be supported by OpenIndiana and is
> commonly available on external drives.

The electrical and protocol specification for esata is the same as sata.
E-SATA cables I think need to be shielded. The only difference is the
amount of line current the controller has to put on the circuit to work
on a longer distance. This is a long way of saying you could in theory
make an internal SATA jack an external jack with high quality shielded
cables, and a little luck.

Something like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=7638&gclid=CPKc4KyJ5sgCFYZefgodcowF_w

Be advised, cables may be one area in life where you get what you pay
for. I am not sure monoprice is the right choice but you get the idea.

j.