[OpenIndiana-discuss] Multiple monitor support

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Sep 11 15:43:49 UTC 2015

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Multiple monitor support, Rick C....:

> I need some more major X help.  Can someone email me privately?  Or
> recommend a place to get that help?

Rick-

The most likely place to look for the answer to "what happened" is in
the X log file, which is almost certainly going to be /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Probably the thing to do is put your X log file from the failed startup
somewhere where it's reachable as a URL, so that people can download it
and take a look.  Something like "pastebin", if you don't have a personal
web site where you could upload it.

You may also want to put up the X log file from your *successful* X
succession under a different file name.  That way, people have something
to compare to, specific to your hardware.

Comparing the good, working log with the failed log may point out where
things went off the rails.

Tim

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Rick C. Hodgin <rick.c.hodgin at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I was able to reboot into the other boot menu option (not openindiana-1,
>> but something about development) and get it to work.  But, I'm back in my
>> old configuration now before the update.
>>
>> How can I copy over the X settings from this boot menu configuration to
>> the openindiana-1 menu configuration?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Rick C. Hodgin
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 10:29 PM, Rick C. Hodgin <rick.c.hodgin at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I have been unable to get X to start back up in a usable form.  It seems
>>> to startup, but I can't see anything except a black screen.  I tried
>>> renaming the /root/xorg.conf.new file it created to be rick.rick.new so it
>>> wouldn't load, but that didn't seem to make any difference.
>>>
>>> I can boot into OpenIndiana right now, but all I get is a text-based
>>> console window.  X seems to be broken, but I don't know how to undo
>>> whatever the "Xorg :0 -configure" command did, because renaming the
>>> xorg.conf.new to rick.rick.new didn't do it.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Rick C. Hodgin

Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)