[OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox console keyboard

Gabriele Bulfon gbulfon at sonicle.com
Wed Apr 13 11:16:13 UTC 2016

My host env is mixed:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
TZ=Europe/Rome
and Keyboard is Italian from installation.
Sonicle S.r.l.
:
http://www.sonicle.com
Music:
http://www.gabrielebulfon.com
Quantum Mechanics :
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/gabrielebulfon
Da: Nikola M
A: Discussion list for OpenIndiana
Data: 13 aprile 2016 11.51.08 CEST
Oggetto: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] VirtualBox console keyboard
On 04/12/16 06:39 PM, Gabriele Bulfon wrote:
:( No way, Jim :( can't see the reason.
I have no problem with any other desktop software, only vbox and only thourgh the console of any guest (tried another illumos,
linux and freebsd). I read old posts talking about xmodmap or keymaps, but that is pure madness...
What I can say, is that the hosting XStreamOS Desktop machine is installed with Italian keyboard, but that is not a problem
for the X11 desktop, nor for the VirtualBox configuration GUI...just when it runs consoles...whatever appears inside...text or graphic
I am running VirtualBox on OI hipster with US locale when loggin to Oi
(and also US locale in VM guest) and haven't seen anything bad yet.
I can try how it behaves when OI desktop session is with another locale
and when I boot into console in VM, so I will see if I can reproduce
this and report.
What do you have as LANG LC_ALL etc. when you start the VM GUI? Is it English, Italian, etc?
Try to start (or wrap) GUI with `LANG=C LC_ALL=C /opt/VirtualBox/VirtualBox` - maybe this will help? At least, similar things influence rdesktop for example...
Jim