[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to configure a DUID for DHCPv6 usage?

Henner Gratz hpg at uni-bremen.de
Wed Apr 13 12:59:11 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I want an OI_151a9 machine to get a fixed IPv6 address via DHCPv6. For
that to work
a DHCP Unique Identifier (DUID) has to be set on this machine. According
to the manuals
a line of the form

     .v6.CLIENT_ID=DUID

has to be added to the file /etc/default/dhcpagent for that.

So I added the line

     .v6.CLIENT_ID=1,1,1,08:00:27:92:28:9b

But now the machine doesn't even get an IPv4 address via DHCP...
Getting IPv4 and (non-fixed) IPv6 addresses via DHCP and DHCPv6 without the
DUID works without problems. Also the line

     .v6.CLIENT_ID=1,,,e1000g0

works, but - of course - will only get a non-fixed IPv6 address.

So I think there's something wrong with my DUID, but unfortunately I wasn't
able to find an example for the correct configuration so far.

Any advice?

Regards,

    Henner