[OpenIndiana-discuss] /hipster: latest kernel updates cause crash when vbox guest is started

Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Fri Apr 15 09:49:39 UTC 2016

On 04/15/16 11:29 AM, Nikola M wrote:
> On 04/14/16 09:02 AM, Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> any one has an idea on this?
>>
>> This morning I have updated /hipster to
>> [2016-04-14 08:46:26] solarix genunix: [ID 540533 kern.notice]
>> #015SunOS Release 5.11 Version illumos-cb92f41 64-bit
>>
>> And things are now even worse: as soon as starting (any) VBox guest,
>> system freezes and stays like that. Tried wit re-installation, but it
>> does not help too.
>> No crash report, nothing. Nada.
>>
>> /var/adm/messages also shows no more info,,, This is kind a
>> frustrating situation, since I had to revert and this is not good...
>> Also, google-ing resulted to no solution.
>
> I have VirtualBox 5.0.16 (patched with Jom Klimov's
> https://github.comSunOS oi-h2015 5.11 illumos-cb92f41 i86pc i386 i86pc
> Solaris/jimklimov/vboxconfig_sh
> (http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox) , shared at:
> https://mega.nz/#!7ZQHzTLa!02SMDWC7gyMS15oSQAwrnrM5AmD7gqNUNmujGSrCZwc
> sha256sum:
> 726350d7057b6f8f478993f0a0103f8ec7ed19faa16bd3c2c598186a16d362fb
> VirtualBox-5.0.16-SunOS-r105871-illumos.tar.gz
> And it works right on 2 OI hipster machines with  illumos-cb92f41 , with
> VT and without (I run xubuntu inside Vbox, XP and others), guests are
> 32bit, could try also 64 bit.
>
> Try re-installing VirtualBox (might need to patch vboxconfig_sh to
> uninstall) but you have patched Vbox on that Mega link if fresh installing.
> What is your hardware? Mine is from C2Duo T5600 and Pentium E5200 era.

Hi Nikola,

I have tried with re-installation, AND I am using Jim's fix and IT is
working with this kernel:
$ uname -rosv
SunOS 5.11 illumos-258e862 Solaris

Until now, all updates went fine. Since then (some changes made after
approx 2016-03-29 makes it failing).

H/W is quiet new (I had to add extra Graphic, Network and USB 2.0 PCIe
cards to have OI working). Here extracts from 'dmidecode' utility:
------------8<---------------------------------------------------
BIOS Information
         Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
         Version: P1.20
         Release Date: 09/03/2015
         Characteristics:
                 PCI is supported
                 BIOS is upgradeable
                 BIOS shadowing is allowed
                 Boot from CD is supported
                 Selectable boot is supported
                 BIOS ROM is socketed
                 EDD is supported
                 5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                 3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                 3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
                 Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
                 8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
                 Serial services are supported (int 14h)
                 Printer services are supported (int 17h)
                 ACPI is supported
                 USB legacy is supported
                 BIOS boot specification is supported
                 Targeted content distribution is supported
                 UEFI is supported

Base Board Information
         Manufacturer: ASRock
         Product Name: B150M Pro4S

Processor Information
         Socket Designation: CPUSocket
         Type: Central Processor
         Family: Core i5
         Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
         ID: E3 06 05 00 FF FB EB BF
         Signature: Type 0, Family 6, Model 94, Stepping 3
         Flags:
                 FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
                 VME (Virtual mode extension)
                 DE (Debugging extension)
                 PSE (Page size extension)
                 TSC (Time stamp counter)
                 MSR (Model specific registers)
                 PAE (Physical address extension)
                 MCE (Machine check exception)
                 CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
                 APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
                 SEP (Fast system call)
                 MTRR (Memory type range registers)
                 PGE (Page global enable)
                 MCA (Machine check architecture)
                 CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
                 PAT (Page attribute table)
                 PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
                 CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
                 DS (Debug store)
                 ACPI (ACPI supported)
                 MMX (MMX technology supported)
                 FXSR (FXSAVE and FXSTOR instructions supported)
                 SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
                 SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
                 SS (Self-snoop)
                 HTT (Multi-threading)
                 TM (Thermal monitor supported)
                 PBE (Pending break enabled)
         Version: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz

Memory Device
         Array Handle: 0x0010
         Error Information Handle: Not Provided
         Total Width: 64 bits
         Data Width: 64 bits
         Size: 8192 MB
         Form Factor: DIMM
         Set: None
         Locator: ChannelA-DIMM1
         Bank Locator: BANK 1
         Type: DDR4
         Type Detail: Synchronous
         Speed: 2133 MHz
         Manufacturer: 1315
------------8<---------------------------------------------------

OI /hipster is installed to SSD and HD is used for user HOME directories:
AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
        0. c2t0d0 <Samsung-SSD 850 EVO 250GB-EMT01B6Q cyl 28078 alt 2 hd
224 sec 56>
           /pci at 0,0/pci1849,a102 at 17/disk at 0,0
        1. c2t1d0 <ATA-ST1000DX001-1NS1-CC41 cyl 60797 alt 2 hd 255 sec 126>
           /pci at 0,0/pci1849,a102 at 17/disk at 1,0

And in attachment you can find screenshot from "device driver utility"....

I *know* that this HW is not covered by any HCL, but as I want to
stress: it has worked like charm (very fast and supporting several VMs
at the same time) UNTIL some changes have been introduced to recent
kernel versions or OI structure.

Since my work heavily depends on VT and VBox is only one which was
working in OI, you can understand my problem: cannot upgrade hipster and
use newer versions (plenty of changes made recently).

 From the other side, I have no idea how to debug this (even VBox.log
shows no errors).

Anyway, thank you for coming back with some ides...

With best regards.
Predrag Zečević

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!