[OpenIndiana-discuss] /hipster: latest kernel updates cause crash when vbox guest is started

Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Fri Apr 15 09:54:41 UTC 2016

On 04/15/16 11:49 AM, Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator wrote:
> On 04/15/16 11:29 AM, Nikola M wrote:
>> On 04/14/16 09:02 AM, Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> any one has an idea on this?
>>>
>>> This morning I have updated /hipster to
>>> [2016-04-14 08:46:26] solarix genunix: [ID 540533 kern.notice]
>>> #015SunOS Release 5.11 Version illumos-cb92f41 64-bit
>>>
>>> And things are now even worse: as soon as starting (any) VBox guest,
>>> system freezes and stays like that. Tried wit re-installation, but it
>>> does not help too.
>>> No crash report, nothing. Nada.
>>>
>>> /var/adm/messages also shows no more info,,, This is kind a
>>> frustrating situation, since I had to revert and this is not good...
>>> Also, google-ing resulted to no solution.
>>
>> I have VirtualBox 5.0.16 (patched with Jom Klimov's
>> https://github.comSunOS oi-h2015 5.11 illumos-cb92f41 i86pc i386 i86pc
>> Solaris/jimklimov/vboxconfig_sh
>> (http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox) , shared at:
>> https://mega.nz/#!7ZQHzTLa!02SMDWC7gyMS15oSQAwrnrM5AmD7gqNUNmujGSrCZwc
>> sha256sum:
>> 726350d7057b6f8f478993f0a0103f8ec7ed19faa16bd3c2c598186a16d362fb
>> VirtualBox-5.0.16-SunOS-r105871-illumos.tar.gz
>> And it works right on 2 OI hipster machines with  illumos-cb92f41 , with
>> VT and without (I run xubuntu inside Vbox, XP and others), guests are
>> 32bit, could try also 64 bit.
>>
>> Try re-installing VirtualBox (might need to patch vboxconfig_sh to
>> uninstall) but you have patched Vbox on that Mega link if fresh
>> installing.
>> What is your hardware? Mine is from C2Duo T5600 and Pentium E5200 era.
>>

> Hi Nikola,
>
> I have tried with re-installation, AND I am using Jim's fix and IT is
> working with this kernel:
> $ uname -rosv
> SunOS 5.11 illumos-258e862 Solaris
>
> Until now, all updates went fine. Since then (some changes made after
> approx 2016-03-29 makes it failing).
>
> H/W is quiet new (I had to add extra Graphic, Network and USB 2.0 PCIe
> cards to have OI working). Here extracts from 'dmidecode' utility:
> ------------8<---------------------------------------------------
> BIOS Information
>          Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
>          Version: P1.20
>          Release Date: 09/03/2015
>          Characteristics:
>                  PCI is supported
>                  BIOS is upgradeable
>                  BIOS shadowing is allowed
>                  Boot from CD is supported
>                  Selectable boot is supported
>                  BIOS ROM is socketed
>                  EDD is supported
>                  5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
>                  3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
>                  3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
>                  Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
>                  8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
>                  Serial services are supported (int 14h)
>                  Printer services are supported (int 17h)
>                  ACPI is supported
> [...]

I OWN apologize, did not installed that VBOx version. Will give it try
right now....

Thanks for pointing to it!

But, on mentioned wiki page (was reading it for whole day):
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/7.2+VirtualBox I did not seen that link...
 From where did you got it? And what is exactly patched there?

Regards.

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!