[OpenIndiana-discuss] /hipster: latest kernel updates cause crash when vbox guest is started

Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Mon Apr 18 06:32:30 UTC 2016

On 04/16/16 08:58 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> 16 апреля 2016 г. 10:21:00 CEST, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> пишет:
>> Jim Klimov писал 15.04.2016 22:01:

>> Hi,
>> is it something new in VirtualBox 5? I run 4.3.30, user doesn't have
>> any
>> special permissions.
>> ---
>> System Administrator of Southern Federal University Computer Center

> It was there from very long ago. Certain device nodes maintained by virtualbox are owned by the vboxusers group, so people wanting usb passthrough, maybe raw host partition delegation, etc. and some other usecases must be members of the group.
>
> Not every usecase needs it - so maybe you never cared ;)
>
> Jim
> --
> Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android

Dear all,

thanks for ideas, but you probably have missed that VBox is working with
some older bits (BE) already, ONLY when I upgrade BE it stops (actually
crashes box). My user account is member of that group already (in this
working BE, which is then updated):

$ grep predrag /etc/group
vboxuser::1962:predrag_zecevic

Is it "vboxuser" or "vboxusers"?

Anyway, tried everything I could think of, and nothing works...

To me, it looks like some driver was changed/upgraded and that causes
problem. And I am not sure how to trace that down...

Regards.

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!