[OpenIndiana-discuss] /hipster: latest kernel updates cause crash when vbox guest is started

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 07:54:17 UTC 2016

On 04/18/16 08:32 AM, Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator wrote:
> Is it "vboxuser" or "vboxusers"?

Yes, vboxuser

> Anyway, tried everything I could think of, and nothing works...
>
> To me, it looks like some driver was changed/upgraded and that causes
> problem. And I am not sure how to trace that down...

I reported using same illumos timestamp with no issues at the moment,
but truly with the other hardware then yours.
Do you actually use benefits of VirtualBox proprietary extension and can
you try without having it installed. (Make new BE out of working, boot
from new BE, disable extension, update)
You could try disabling some of drivers that are non-essential and try
over.
What are VBox machine settings

It is valuable to see what is actually going on, because running on
newer hardware truly is more valuable for the future then the old
hardware I run on..

If at the moment VBox is working right on one OI's BE, VBox stays the
same and you try getting just illumos is updated, that is where to find
the problem as you suggested.
Feel free to come to irc.Freenode.net, #openindiana and #oi-dev and
#illumos IRC channels so we can interactively discuss, pastebin/bpaste
and try to see what could be done for your install.