[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to configure a DUID for DHCPv6 usage?

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Apr 21 11:37:25 UTC 2016

On 04/21/16 06:52, Henner Gratz wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> In the meantime I've worked through states.c and found a few bugs that
> make the correct
> parsing of DUID-LLT's and DUID-LL's impossible. A self-compiled,
> corrected version of
> dhcpagent seems to work (at least for me ;*). I filed a bug
> (https://www.illumos.org/issues/6928) with a diff-file. Hope this will
> help a little. (I run OI_151a9, but
> the source of dhcpagent is still the same in the current illumos sources.)

As I've tried to explain several times over, the time value in the type
1 DUID was *NOT* intended to be specified by the user.  It shouldn't be.
 The DUID (once generated) is stored in stable storage and reused, so if
that's the reason you're trying to specify it manually, then you
shouldn't do that.

For that reason, I disagree with that part of the change.  I don't
believe it's correct or necessary at all for stable DUIDs.

I'll leave the rest for a maintainer to look at.  I believe this is a
fundamental misunderstanding of what the code is doing.