[OpenIndiana-discuss] Vim.org alternate download mirror

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 09:07:42 UTC 2016

On 04/23/16 07:29 AM, Michael Kruger wrote:
> Just wanted to mention there is an alternate download mirror available.
>
> http://ftp.vim.org/os/openindiana.org/dlc/isos/hipster/
>

> If I am not mistaken, aren't both the primary and alternate mirrors
> located in Europe? If so, perhaps soliciting a mirror in North America
> would help reduce some of the strain on the European mirrors.

Making new mirrors is great but needs people with offering bandwidth and
space.

I am additionally  proposing adding official (not per-user made)
.torrent files and magnet links
for newly made ISOs, on the same place where sha256sum and file itself is.
Also publishing sha256sums in same documents when mentioning Disk images
it a good practice.

- This proposal is about only newly made ISOs, etc. and from now on,
including most recent ones, Not including old ones.
- Torrent files and magnet links should be made only By ISO creator
Alexander Pyhalov or infrastructure maintainers, like Xenol, not the
rest of community, to avoid confusion and possible false ISO redistribution.

If using a torrent to re-share, that is almost self-automated
redistribution infrastructure and one can add Torrent sharing even if
already downloaded by other means.
Redistributing OI with torrent is not only much faster today, but people
sharing it for previous period, reported solely sharing it over 100s
times, from their uplink internet connection alone. Thanks Patrick
Domack, (patdk and others ) for sharing Openindiana images to thousands :)