[OpenIndiana-discuss] Vim.org alternate download mirror

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 19:16:54 UTC 2016

On 04/23/16 02:28 PM, Michael Kruger wrote:
> On 04/23/2016 05:07 AM, Nikola M wrote:
>
>> I am additionally  proposing adding official (not per-user made)
>> .torrent files and magnet links
>> for newly made ISOs, on the same place where sha256sum and file
>> itself is.
>> Also publishing sha256sums in same documents when mentioning Disk images
>> it a good practice.
>
> +1 - Torrents would really help.
>
> Another thought I had was to create a "current" folder on the download
> folder. With such a folder, there would no longer be a need to update
> documents referencing specific files on the download server. Instead
> those documents would simply point to the current folder.

Hipster ISOs are development snapshots , they are released, but are not
'releases' per se.
Keeping installation updated makes sense for fast-changing OI hipster.

I would leave naming them 'current' to some other later time, because it
associate to releasing process, that could lead to supported releases
and we still don't have that quite set up, except for hipster rolling,
Including possible landing in /dev from time to time.

So I would leave to infrastructure part of the team to organize it as
seem fit.
I actually like that people can see there are many ISOs over time, so
that it is not like "new" but have some history :) And if download links
work, that's frankly all what's needed :P

Maybe that idea can reflect another one:- to have always-available
hipster ISO that can be used for install testing, but I am sure if
installation process gets changed, testing ISOs can be produced at any time.

Great thing about Openindiana hipster is it's easier to contribute, one
always get newest illumos on every change , so that testing and bug
reporting can widely be done as soon as changes are made.
(Like recently catching up that VirtualBox at the moment requires
putting 'set disable_smap=1' in /etc/system for Haswell of newer Intel
CPUs because illumos now enables SMAP CPU features )