[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs] zfs + iscsi = poor sequential reding performance

Tomasz Kloczko kloczko.tomasz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:02:09 UTC 2016

> I used to use  ZFS volume for local VirtualBox use and I know that moving
from 4K block volumes to 64 or 128K improved their speed largely and also
with sync=disabled

BTW sync=disabled .. it improves write IOs only (reduces avg latency as
sync() are ignored) and should be not generally used as when system will
crash it may cause data looses. As well sync=disabled is causing snapshots
inconsistency.
sync=disabled is generally more for temporary usage to for example reduce
importing time of some data (for example importing text dump to SQL engine).
In all other cases main technique used on improve write speed should be (as
long as it is only possible) using ZIL.
I understand that this may be a bit problematic on use iSCSI as usually
number of necessary ZIL vdes may vary in time :)

And back to sequential reads ..
Probably to improve read IOs and especially sequential reads better would
be possible by tune ZFS read ahead settings.
In kstat zfs::arcstat metrics are few helping tune those settings and check
how effective current RA settings are (misses/hits ratio to RA data).

kloczek

Tomasz Kłoczko | Tel: 0774 1209067 | LinkedIn: *http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH
<http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH>*