[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs] zfs + iscsi = poor sequential reding performance

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 23:06:27 UTC 2016

On 04/23/16 02:26 PM, Сисадмин wrote:
> for christ sake
This list is about Openindiana/illumos support so even I have some
sympathies for proprietary VMWare/Windows users, there is just too many
things in between that leaves many possible issues open in the chain of
your use case and test scenario.
You can use kvm , solaris zones, VirtualBox and kvm and VBox inside
zones on Openindiana/illumos. (and dilos has Xen on illumos)

Your conclusion about zfs+iscsi is most probably generally wrong and
unsuited, looking at your config.
(*and I ask you not to put conclusions in the topic in the first place
that might hurt OI and zfs)
I can suggest several things and I suggest that you use
Openindiana/illumos on hardware and installed as an OS on machine:

First, I recently had some issues with 2 directly cable-connected OI
machines (much lower spec) with speed not being as expected - try using
some switch in between?
Secondly, I think that you should NOT mix hard disk types in the
pool(512k/4K) - ashift= should be the same across the pool.
Also, you got to give your zvol volblocksize parameter bigger values
then 4K, at least 64K and re-run, also blocksize that suits your use
case might not be best for other use cases, so you might test what
blocksize you mostly want and for what zvol/iscsi use. (avery zvol can
have different blocksize, same goes for datasets with files).
And finally, try to experiment with sync=disabled for your zvols and see
how that helps them behaving faster.

I used to use  ZFS volume for local VirtualBox use and I know that
moving from 4K block volumes to 64 or 128K improved their speed largely
and also with sync=disabled
and that actually, by using zvols exported via ISCSI IMPROVES disk speed
for my VMs, then using them as just block devices serving as disk for
VirtualBox VMs.

You are free to join on #openindiana and #illumos on Freenode etc.