[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Wed Aug 17 07:03:09 UTC 2016

On 08/16/16 05:12 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> Hello, people.
>
> I wanted to announce availability of Mate some time ago, but there were
> some issues, especially when I tried to build Mate Live CD. Good news is
> that now most irritating issues (or at least those which I found) are
> fixed.
>
> So, let me introduce Mate 1.14. To facilitate installing, I've created
> pkg:/mate_install, which should be shortly available. Unfortunately,
> when you have both Gnome 2 and Mate installed, both of them try to use
> the same applications, so you'll have interesting time removing Gnome 2
> applications from Mate and vice versa.
>
> Currently Mate packages are
>
> desktop/pdf-viewer/atril
> desktop/mate/caja
> desktop/archive-manager/engrampa
> desktop/mate/marco
> desktop/mate/mate-applets
> desktop/mate/mate-dictionary
> desktop/mate/mate-disk-usage-analyzer
> desktop/mate/mate-screenshot
> desktop/mate/mate-search-tool
> desktop/mate/mate-system-log
> desktop/mate/caja/caja-extensions
> desktop/mate/mate-backgrounds
> desktop/mate/mate-calc
> desktop/mate/control-center
> desktop/mate/mate-icon-theme-faenza
> desktop/mate/mate-icon-theme
> desktop/mate/mate-media
> desktop/mate/mate-notification-daemon
> desktop/mate/mate-panel
> desktop/mate/mate-session-manager
> desktop/mate/mate-settings-daemon
> terminal/mate-terminal
> desktop/mate/mate-themes
> desktop/mate/mate-user-guide
> desktop/system-monitor/mate-system-monitor
> desktop/xdg/menu-editor/mozo
> editor/pluma
> image/viewer/eom
> library/desktop/mate/mate-desktop
> # Not strictly mate, but gdm brings in too much gnome2
> system/display-manager/lightdm
> system/display-manager/lightdm/gtk-greeter
>
> Known MATE issues:
> - power management is based on upower (hal support removed), so it
> doesn't work (affects mate-applets(batstat), mate power manager)
> - nautilus zfs integration uses illumos private interfaces and wasn't
> ported to caja
> - compiz integration to GNOME control center uses gconf settings. To
> work with mate code should be migrated to gsettings
> - GUI interface to reboot to specific BE is not preserved
>
> As for LightDM, it worked for me, but there was one issue, which I
> didn't manage to catch:
> - On some conditions when ligthdm is disabled, it fails to switch active
> VT back to /dev/vt/0. If you can reproduce it or have some ideas why it
> happens (and lightdm does it in sigterm handler), I'll be glad to hear.
>
> Now, about ISOs:
> They are available at http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/hipster/20160816/ ,
> sha256 checksums are in
> http://dlc-int.openindiana.org/hipster/20160816/sha256sums.txt .
>
> Two new image types: OI_MATE - this is Mate-based LiveDVD and OI_minimal
> [...]

Hi!

Thanks for bringing MATE to us!

I have already installed it and it looks faster and better utilizes
graphic card/monitor (that is first impression on same h/w).

Will keep gnome2 for the moment, until I try everything.

With best regards.
Predrag Zečević
--
Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!