[OpenIndiana-discuss] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Aug 18 13:53:25 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 06:12:45PM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:

> So, let me introduce Mate 1.14. To facilitate installing, I've
> created pkg:/mate_install, which should be shortly available.
> Unfortunately, when you have both Gnome 2 and Mate installed, both
> of them try to use the same applications, so you'll have interesting
> time removing Gnome 2 applications from Mate and vice versa.

Is it possible to have both installed but select which one to run?  I
recall that at one time, Solaris 10 offered both CDE and Gnome
desktops.  You could select the one your preferred from the login
screen.  Something similar for OI might be useful.

PS: If there are files that are required by both Mate and Gnome,
you could put them in a desktop common meta-package.