[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Drivers For My Wireless Network Device

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Fri Aug 19 10:19:38 UTC 2016

Aurélien Larcher wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 11:13 AM, jay <jay at m5.chicago.il.us> wrote:
>>
>> Esteemed Colleagues,
>>
>> Yesterday I booted my new laptop (well, new to me) from the latest
>> hipster iso, intending to proceed immediately therefrom to an
>> installation.  I noticed, alas, that the system had no knowledge of my
>> wireless network device.  This makes the system useless for my
>> computer, it is, after all, a laptop, it is a portable device that on
>> occasion literally sits atop my lap, it has to be able to connect to a
>> network without there being an Ethernet cable stuck into it.  The
>> Device Driver Utility (or whatever it's called, I don't have it on the
>> screen anymore, otherwise I would be running OpenIndiana and would
>> therefore be unable to send this e-mail) noted, correctly, the
>> existence of a
>>
>>    Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY
>>
>> but it had no driver for it.
>
> There has been some work to user NDIS wrapper:
>
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/3367

This can only use WEP encryption, because the interface
to NDIS5 is not compatible with the WPA four-step
handshake (some user level replies from the access point
have to be redirected to the supplicant).

I would volunteer to interface to the Broadcom supplied
driver (hybrid-port) for which an unterface to Linux is
available, or to a more recent open source driver for
Linux (which supports newer Broadcom hardware, though
the BCM4312 is said to be poorly supported).

But I have (again) to ask for help for doing that. The
relations between net80211, mac, dladm and wpad are opaque.
There has been a Google summer of code about WPA2, but
I could not get anything useful from it (apparently
WPA Enterprise requires a significant reworking of the
relations between these modules).

Jean-Pierre