[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing mate and enabling lightdm

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Sun Aug 21 13:51:03 UTC 2016

Am 21.08.16 um 14:10 schrieb Michael Kruger:
> On 08/21/16 04:18 AM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:
>>

>> Am 21.08.16 um 02:51 schrieb Michael Kruger:
>>> For the sake of any folks new to OpenIndiana (such as myself), I
>>> wanted to loosely document the process of installing the mate
>>> desktop and enabling lightdm.
>>>
>>> 1) Install the MATE desktop meta package (sudo pkg install
>>> mate_install)
>> I needed to remove the packages "userland-incorporation" and "entire"
>> before that.
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
> I'm unfamiliar with the packages you mentioned, so I did a 'pkg info'
> on them.
>
> The 'entire' package is an incorporation to lock all system packages
> to same build.
> And 'userland-incorporation' is a meta package which constrains
> packages from the userland consolidation.
>
> Can you tell me why removing these was necessary?
I tried the installation again on a fresh system. This time it worked
without uninstalling the aforementioned packages.
It seems as if my original system was in an inconsistant state when I
installed Mate; userland-incorporation prohibited the installation of
mate_install and entire prohibited the uninstallation of
userland-incorporation.

Regards
Andreas