[OpenIndiana-discuss] KMS bits landed in OpenIndiana Hipster

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Aug 29 19:12:19 UTC 2016

Hello, people.

I'm glad to announce that Martin's KMS bits has landed in OpenIndiana
Hipster. After update you'll receive
driver/graphics/drm at 0.5.11-2016.0.1.0.
We don't longer ship old drm from illumos-gate as it seems noone
bothered to support it since 2010 (and they seem to be useless with our
Xorg/Intel video driver version). If it changes, we can switch back.
Old radeon drm driver, which as I know didn't work for any Radeon video
adapter manufactured in 2006 or later, was removed.
New driver should work fine with Intel HD Graphics 4000 and other modern
Intel adapters. Old Intel adapters are likely to be not supported by
this port.

Users feedback is welcome.

Big thanks to Martin for his work to make this possible. Also we should
thank Oracle team, who ported KMS to Solaris.