[OpenIndiana-discuss] boot failure

Christopher Robinson chrisrobinson at rocketmail.com
Tue Aug 30 17:17:24 UTC 2016

Hello,
This is my first post to the OpenIndiana list. Apostolos' post comes at a very timely moment for me,since I recently had a serious failure of OpenSolaris 2009.06 to boot to the Gnome desktop.My OpenSolaris Bible says that a bad shut-down might be the cause, and, in fact I powered off the previous session without shutting-down, although I had done this many times before withissues. When I select the OpenSolaris boot environment from the GRUB, the icon keeps circulatingwith no result. I can bring up the control console by hitting "esc". I tried to follow my manual'sinstructions to update the boot archive using "beadm", but it did not work.Does anybody know a command line that will fix this?I am thinking of upgrading to one of the development forks of Open Solaris, however I donot want to do a destructive install, since I do not now have a complete image of my harddisk. I am considering removing the SATA drive, installing an SSD, then installing a new OScompatible with ZFS and finally reinstalling the original drive, but I do not know what problemsI might run into.Any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated.
Very sincerely yours, Christopher