[OpenIndiana-discuss] (I've probably asked this before but my search of the list fails) ffmpeg version and compile time options

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Dec 12 07:45:55 UTC 2016

On 12/11/16 08:21 PM, Hans J Albertsson wrote:
> This is in hipster-encumbered, so why are a few options disabled with
> reference to incompatility with various open licenses?
>
> Encumbered should mean that details in licensing should not matter, as long
> as we're outside the US, right?

Hi.
No, it's wrong.
Licensing matters. What doesn't matter is patents on software codecs.
FFmpeg can use several libraries. But as libraries (which ffmpeg can
use) use different licensing, if you compile ffmpeg with all options
enabled, you get binary, which you can't redistribute according to GPLv2
license.
--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,