[OpenIndiana-discuss] Replacing a faulty rpool disk

Udo Grabowski (IMK) udo.grabowski at kit.edu
Sun Dec 18 13:45:10 UTC 2016

On 17/12/2016 10:34, EM - SC wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a failing disk in my rpool.
> This pool has only one disc (oops).. and I would like to replace it,
> hopefully without data loss.
>
> The server has a spare disk, but I never thought about making rpool mirror.
>
> Can I mirror this rpool now, and then replace the faulty disk (hoping
> that resilvering finishes OK)?
> Or do I need to mirror the rpool and reboot the server before removing
> the faulty one?

zpool attach yourPool badDevice newDevice

and wait for resilver to have finished (and
pray your bad disk doesn't die in that process),
now you have a mirror with one good and one bad
device,  then (if you'll keep the mirror layout,
otherwise just detach the bad device)

zpool replace yourPool badDevice otherNewDevice

and let resilver finish. That's all.