[OpenIndiana-discuss] How many versions of libs/apps should OI provide?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Dec 23 21:47:52 UTC 2016

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] How many versions of libs/apps...:

> The xv program (an ancient image viewer that I use extensively,
> because it is the smallest and fastest of the image viewers) has code
> in it for displaying files in the "new" png format, but it uses the
> old png API, and you cannot compile the source with the new png header
> files.  Moreover, the source to xv is never going to be updated,
> unless I do it myself.

This is a bit of a tangent, but for xv fans out there...

Several Linux distributions share a xv-3.10a-libpng15.patch that updates
the original xv png code to use the post 1.4 PNG API, rather than
trying to access the struct members directly.

With that patch (and other post 3.10a patches) it's possible to build
xv on latest hipster.

Easiest way to get the patches is to fish them out of a source RPM,
such as this one:

 	http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/26/dist/102/size/4167392/name/xv-3.10a.jumbopatch.20070520-23.fc24.src.rpm

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)