[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI hipster frequence freeze during update

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Dec 30 23:26:00 UTC 2016

30 декабря 2016 г. 22:21:45 CET, Full Name <shwen at excite.com> пишет:
>hi,  i'm new to the OI
>
>i've having much difficulty using  OI.  OI hipster 2015.10 was
>installed on an IDE hard drive on a desktop PC with Intel 2.8Ghz
>processor, ATI  video card, and ethernet card.
>
>current publisher is set at:
>erdos at quantum:~$ pfexec pkg publisher
>PUBLISHER TYPE STATUS P LOCATION
>openindiana.org origin online F
>http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2015/
>

>when i tried to set to new publisher, system hangs at 'caching
>catalogs' and take forever...
>
># pkg set-publisher \
>-G [url]http://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster-2015[/url] \
>-g [url]https://pkg.openindiana.org/hipster[/url] openindiana.org‘
>

>when i do  ‘sudo pkg update', after a short period of time, system
>freeze.
>

>any help?

How much memory does this system have, and do you have a swap dataset (zfs) or raw partition configured? My guess would be that you could be running out of memory (pkg is a beast in this regard, might take around a gig of ram to map all packages and their known versions), and with too little free ram for too long a system panic may happen, apparently to clear the faulty condition.

Also, is the CPU 64-bit capable?

HTH, Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android