[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Updated OpenIndiana FAQ

cpforum cpforum at orange.fr
Wed Feb 3 21:30:09 UTC 2016

 Hi,

> Both OpenIndiana and BSD are true unix operating systems, whose roots
> trace back to the original AT&T Unix.

True

Shortly (I used all theses Unixes (even Edition 7 in the eigthies on a Perkin Elmer 3220) and all solaris release excepted SunOS 5.1

AT&T System V ----------------------> AT&T SystemV R4
^ V
AT&T Edition 7 --> BSD 4.2 --> SunOS 3 --- > Sun OS 4 ---> SunOS 5.X ----> SunOS 5.10 ---> OpenSolaris ----> OpenIndiana

AT&T Edition 7 --> BSD 4.2 --> BSD 4.3 ---> BSD 4.3 Reno ---> BSD 4.4 Lite -> .... NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD(ZFS)
delete of AT&T

For a Full and reliable history of Unix like system look at :

http://www.levenez.com/unix (move the mouse above the white picture)

or

http://www.levenez.com/unix/unix_a4.pdf

OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana are here until 2012

> Linux in contrast, was created
> from scratch to provide a free and open source alternative to Minix,
> which at the time, was licensed for educational uses only.

Really ? I have some doubt. command line are Gnu, Xfree86 was X11 from MIT, init.d and rc.d come from AT&T System V R2, first TCP/IP stack was probably BSD etc.
even first kernels are probably inspired from Minix and BSD.
My first Linux install was a slackware with 0.99 kernel around 1995 with 4 Mb RAM and 5 GB disk on an Intel 286 or 386.

So saying OpenIndiana is a POSIX/Unix like with a mix of Gnu, BSD and System V commands is also true (like many others)