[OpenIndiana-discuss] [oi-dev] Updated OpenIndiana FAQ

Michael Kruger makruger2000 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 21:40:00 UTC 2016

On 02/03/2016 04:30 PM, cpforum wrote:
>   Hi,
>

>> Both OpenIndiana and BSD are true unix operating systems, whose roots
>> trace back to the original AT&T Unix.
>
> True
>

> Shortly (I used all theses Unixes (even Edition 7 in the eigthies on a Perkin Elmer 3220) and all solaris release excepted SunOS 5.1
>
> AT&T System V ----------------------> AT&T SystemV R4
> ^ V
> AT&T Edition 7 --> BSD 4.2 --> SunOS 3 --- > Sun OS 4 ---> SunOS 5.X ----> SunOS 5.10 ---> OpenSolaris ----> OpenIndiana
>
> AT&T Edition 7 --> BSD 4.2 --> BSD 4.3 ---> BSD 4.3 Reno ---> BSD 4.4 Lite -> .... NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD(ZFS)
> delete of AT&T
>
> For a Full and reliable history of Unix like system look at :
>
> http://www.levenez.com/unix (move the mouse above the white picture)
>
> or
>
> http://www.levenez.com/unix/unix_a4.pdf
>
> OpenSolaris and OpenIndiana are here until 2012
>
>> Linux in contrast, was created
>> from scratch to provide a free and open source alternative to Minix,
>> which at the time, was licensed for educational uses only.
>
> Really ? I have some doubt. command line are Gnu, Xfree86 was X11 from MIT, init.d and rc.d come from AT&T System V R2, first TCP/IP stack was probably BSD etc.
> even first kernels are probably inspired from Minix and BSD.
> My first Linux install was a slackware with 0.99 kernel around 1995 with 4 Mb RAM and 5 GB disk on an Intel 286 or 386.
>
> So saying OpenIndiana is a POSIX/Unix like with a mix of Gnu, BSD and System V commands is also true (like many others)

Thank you for your comments.

As I get some time this weekend, I'll try to rework this section to be a
bit more historically accurate and intellectually honest;-)

I also would like to toss together a little news story about FOSDEM 2016
for the OI website. If anyone has anything they'd like to contribute to
that, please let me know.

For another update, we're collecting content for the next issue of
Hipster news. If anyone has anything they'd like mentioned, I'd be happy
to hear it.

Michael