[OpenIndiana-discuss] KVM in Zones && networking

Jacques Hugo jacques.hugo at threetwo.co.uk
Sun Feb 21 00:12:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,

This post is around running a KVM inside a Zone and trying to get the
networking working.  I hope some of you have a working config and any help
is appreciated.  Although networking in the Zone is working fine, I cannot
seem to connect in the KVM running inside it.  I'm def missing a
networking/routing issue here.

I am sure this is the standard setup (output shortened for brevities sake):

1.       Global Zone's network interfaced.  We're using vnic1 for the Zone

# dladm show-vnic

LINK         OVER         SPEED  MACADDRESS        MACADDRTYPE         VID

net0         igb0         1000   2:8:20:4:5e:e1    random              0

net1         igb0         1000   2:8:20:d:5b:d2    random              0

vnic1        igb0         1000   2:8:20:d8:ad:72   random              0
## using this VNIC

2.       Zone setup.  The Zone has exclusive rights to the physical
interface (vnic 1)

# zonecfg -z src info

zonename: src

zonepath: /naspool/zones/src

brand: ipkg

autoboot: true

bootargs:

pool:

limitpriv:

scheduling-class:

ip-type: exclusive

hostid:

fs-allowed:

net:

                address not specified

                allowed-address not specified

                physical: vnic1

                defrouter not specified

device:

                match: /dev/kvm

device:

                match: /dev/zvol/rdsk/naspool/zones/src/kvm

dataset:

                name: naspool/zones/src/kvm

3.       The startscript for the KVM:

#!/bin/ksh

MAC=$(dladm show-vnic -po macaddress vnic1)

/usr/bin/qemu-kvm \

        -boot cd \

        -cpu host \

        -enable-kvm \

        -vnc 0.0.0.0:43 \

        -smp 4  \

        -m 8192 \

        -no-hpet \

        -localtime \

        -drive
file=/dev/zvol/rdsk/naspool/zones/src/kvm/disk0,if=ide,index=0 \

        -drive
file=/naspool/zones/src/kvm/iso/sol-11_3-text-x86.iso,media=cdrom,if=ide,ind
ex=2  \

        -net nic,vlan=0,name=net0,model=e1000,macaddr=$MAC \

        -net vnic,vlan=0,name=net0,ifname=vnic1,macaddr=$MAC \

        -vga std

The KVM (Solaris 11) start fine and the installation goes through without a
hitch (quite fast to be honest, very good performance).  However I cannot
connect to it from the outside.  The KVM host I have configured with an IP
but cannot ping it, or from the KVM itself cannot see the default gw.
However traffic to/from the Zone is working fine.  Running a KVM in the
Global Zone works a treat, however inside a Zone I am definitely missing a
step in getting the routing from the KVM to the Zone sorted.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Jacques