[OpenIndiana-discuss] Σχετ: Re: [oi-dev] OpenSolaris

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 16:00:30 UTC 2016

Dear Sriram,

> It'd also help if someone could provide a writeup on this work, and also
> > what it means for Open Indiana in particular and Illumos in general.
> Media
> > like Phoronix and such could then pick it up.
> >
> > This good work needs some public relations style posting rather than just
> > Martin's posts with the scant few replies.
> >

> In fact, I volunteer for making this happen. I'll send a separate post on
> this.

You are totally right.
With the newly updated website (though not perfect), the intent was to
provide more information on the current status and highlight the need of
contributions in specific areas (testing, packaging): this is slowly moving
forward.
Alexander's, Ken's and Martin's progresses are not as visible as they
should be.

There are several levels of information:
- users should get updates on the news pages:
http://www.openindiana.org/category/news/
- contributors should be able to understand where help is needed on the
roadmap page: http://www.openindiana.org/overview/roadmap/
- developers use the wiki to track their progress:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Hipster

So the website's purpose shoud be two-fold:
- give general information for users
- provide entry points to the wiki for contributors/developers

As long as people have to dig several hours to find information I do not
think we will be getting any feedback.

Although this is not enough, I added:
- an "Intel KMS driver" page to the wiki:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Intel+KMS+driver
- a bullet point to the roadmap:
http://www.openindiana.org/overview/roadmap/

Best regards