[OpenIndiana-discuss] 32-bit support in OpenIndiana Hipster

Bruce Lilly bruce.lilly at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 19:32:18 UTC 2016

There's something wrong with this picture...

Although OI inherited isaexec and *could* ship both 32- and 64-bit
executables and libraries,
presently only 32-bit libraries are available in many cases (e.g. gamin).
Also, the default
compilation on 64-bit systems produces 32-bit executables (and libraries).

So if your goal is really to drop 32-bit support (and thereby alienate
those with 32-bit
systems to support), you first need to do two things:
1. rebuild all available libraries and executables in 64-bit mode
2. change the default compilation mode for 64-bit systems
The 32-bit time_t issue won't go away until both of those are addressed AND
all existing
64-bit systems have been fully updated (and 32-bit systems replaced).

On the other hand, to properly utilize the attractive feature of
transparently supporting both
32-bit and 64-bit systems via isaexec, and thereby possibly attract (rather
than alienate)
users, two things need to be addressed:
1. time_t (via illumos; this shouldn't be rocket science -- both NetBSD and
OpenBSD have
    64-bit time_t on both 32- and 64-bit systems)
2. actually take advantage of isaexec by producing and distributing both
32- and 64-bit
    libraries and executables
After those issues are addressed, changing the default compilation mode for
64-bit
systems should be painless (and is expected to provide performance benefits
on
64-bit i86 platforms).
It would also be nice to reduce the (physical) memory requirement,
especially of the OI
installer which uniquely (compared to BSD and most Linux installers)
crashes on
modest-memory (e.g. 512 MB) systems.  Such systems (including low-power
ones)
are fine for many uses which do not themselves require much memory or CPU
power,
such as ntp servers.