[OpenIndiana-discuss] 32-bit support in OpenIndiana Hipster

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 20:08:11 UTC 2016

Hello,

> Why not deliver amd64 bits in /usr/bin ? If we deliver them in
> /usr/bin/amd64, they are not in default PATH,
> and we have to use isaexec. I don't see good reason for this. We can
> deliver them in /usr/bin/amd64 and hardlinks
> in /usr/bin, but I don't see benefits from doing this.
>
> I don't think we have to touch them

CONFIGURE_BINDIR.32 = $(CONFIGURE_PREFIX)/bin
CONFIGURE_BINDIR.64 = $(CONFIGURE_PREFIX)/bin/$(MACH64)

To enforce the new behaviour in a systematic way:

CONFIGURE_BINDIR.32 = $(CONFIGURE_PREFIX)/bin/$(MACH32)
CONFIGURE_BINDIR.64 = $(CONFIGURE_PREFIX)/bin

But you may want a macros to allow per-component switch.
If both are delivered, use isaexec to use binaries in arch subdirs.

Do I miss something ?

I'd be all for it. But I can't rush migrating x11 components, as I just
>> don't have enough free time now.
>>
> I'll think more about suggestion to move remaining x11/JDS  components to
> oi-userland
> before this switch. I'm just afraid that this process can not be finished
> soon.

At least if there is a chance to make that happen, it would be good to
explain how crucial it is to finally put this migration thing behind and
give a chance to potential contributor to jump in: worst case scenario,
just proceed as resources allow.

I know it takes time and I am very sorry not to be able to help you more
right now...
I am working a bit on basic documentation to help providing entry points
and more important makruger does an amazing job making sense of the
existing content... quite a task...