[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenGL/3D application

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 07:53:14 UTC 2016

On 07/ 8/16 01:00 AM, bentahyr at chez.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone using current Hipster with 3D/OpenGL software whether it is for data visualisation or any other purposes. The only 3D application I have working in Hipster is Firefox running WebGL demos.
> I sense something fishy in the Mesa/OpenGL stack on Hipster but I cannot find any standard I could use to benchmark the stack.
I am on Intel 945 laptop and I could only start glxgears to confirm
OpenGL is workign with Mesa and it gives frame rates when running to
sort of measure speed.

Couldn't start WebGL the other day from Firefox few days ago, did you
make it and from what page have you tested it?
I think that Firefox shipped with hipster simply does not support WebGL,
actually Alp confirmed it the other day.

On the Nvidia side, from reorting date onwards, I have very large CPU
usage, 30-50% on one core, doing nothing and displayed in GNOME System
monitor panel, just by logging in on Oi hipster, it all started with
mesa update months ago. prstat does not show that cpu usage.

userland-incorporation after I have large cpu usage is:
userland-incorporation at 0.5.11,5.11-2016.0.0.6240:20160516T121447Z

mesa: update to 11.2.2
http://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/commit/86cbae9ad08a7214a42a4f42ffe5a5288a2a1f55

I reported it on May 18th on #oi-dev IRC channel, without making bug
report not to make a fuss,
but I think this is a problem for more people when mesa update results
in large cpu usage, and it's even more strange is that prstat nor top
show nothing, just System load monitor. It happens only on Nvidia
graphics machine.